Tuesday, April 12, 2011

In Response to Mrs.Mahler

           I believe that today more than ever Americans are behaving just like the animals on Animal Farm. Youth especially conforms and does not protest their government because, in reality, most have no idea what is occurring in politics. This has not always been the case. During the Vietnam war hippies protested for what they believed for. This is difficult to find now and days. A few months ago I saw a story in the news which reminds me of the question you asked about the pigs. A city official who knew Wichita's mayor personally was able to get out of quite a few speeding tickets by simply mentioning his name. Even more outrageous was the fact that when this was found out the city official was not reprimanded because that is not "illegal".  I think that Orwell advises us to rebel and to ask question when we think there has been an injustice. In this book he displays for us an image of what were to happen if we do not. Though I agree with his plan I have serious doubts about whether we as a society would be able to do this. (I'm kind of a pessimist : )

2 comments:

  1. I resent the adorable little pigs on your background. It just feels wrong, like putting a picture of a tsunami on a Japanese website.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent examples! I can hear a little rage too - that's good. Have you considered voicing your opinion in a venue that would get you heard. If you want to fix a society and coutneract your own admitted pessimism, than action may be the only answer. A letter or editorial can make more of a difference than you may realize.

    ReplyDelete